Friday, February 29, 2008

Shoes, shoes, and more shoes....

What is it with women and shoes? Why do we buy into the hype? Pointed toes so sharp they could poke the eye out of a spider, heels so high we can't walk in them - there are even women who have surgery on their feet in order to fit into Manolo Blahniks. I remember the day the New York Times blasted Imelda Marcos for owning 300 pair of shoes. Women across America were in their closets counting and whispering, "and the problem with that is...?"

I owned a pair of shoes once that I adored. They were absolutely adorable wedges. Unfortunately, they weren't very stable and I fell three times before I finally threw them out. It wasn't the falls that deterred me - fashion took precedence over falling...until I actually hurt myself and required stitches - that's when I finally made the decision to toss them.

My biggest problem with shoes has been trying to find them in my size. I've always been on the outer limits of the manufacturer's size charts: I graduated from high school wearing a size 9 AA shoe. After I had Amy I wore a 9-1/2 AA. After Jennifer, a 10 AA. By the time I was 50 I wore a 10-1/2 AA. The last pair I bought was an 11. (They'll have to bury me barefoot - it's dang hard to find a shoe bigger than a size 11)


(footnote: I did a little research and found out that Imelda Marcos was actually accused of having 3,000 pair of shoes. But she vehemently denied that. She said she only had 1,060)

3 comments:

Salt H2O said...

I love shoes because there is no such thing as my 'fat' shoes. They fit no matter what weight I am!

Jeri10 said...

I hate to burst your bubble Kory, but there comes a time, when you gain too much weight, that you need a wider width shoe. You stretch out all your shoes - then, when you lose weight, all your shoes are too wide (thus, your "fat" shoes). The good news is, you have an excuse to go out and buy all new shoes!

Lauren said...

Oooooh....shoes.....I want to go shopping.