Friday, February 15, 2008

My Heroes:

Our founding fathers signing the Declaration of Independence


Who are my heroes? Do I look up to movie stars, rock stars, sports figures, or politicians? No (although looking at their salaries one would assume that those are truly our idols). I suppose I used to think they were pretty special, but the older I get, the more I realize that they are not that terribly important. the people I most admire are those that put everything on the line for what they believe in: The soldiers who are risking their lives every day in Iraq: The firemen who ran up the stairs of the Twin Towers on 9/11; Policemen who work in dangerous communities; People who live a life of service (school teachers, nurses, soccer coaches, people who work with the blind, handicapped, deaf, etc., people who volunteer at the special Olympics) - these are the people I most admire.

Who am I forgetting? I know, our founding fathers risked their lives for us as well - and I truly do admire them. Unfortunately, there are none like them today. Who am I kidding - there has NEVER been anyone like them since (what a sad commentary on our political history).

No comments: