Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Dirt

I may lose a few of you here. You may think I’m headed for the funny farm. (deep breath) I collect dirt. Not salacious gossip kind of dirt. The brown stuff you plant things in. I started collecting dirt when I was in high school and embarked on my first travel abroad. I went to Greece and Turkey. I was sitting on the steps of the Parthenon on the Acropolis and noticed all the tiny specs of marble in the dirt. I thought to myself, “This marble used to be part of the Parthenon. How cool would it be to take some home with me.” So, I reached in my backpack, took out a film canister and scooped up a tablespoon full and labeled it. From then on, I would bring back a film canister of dirt from where ever I traveled. I later found some clear plastic test tubes and transferred all my dirt and relabeled them. A friend of mine made a special display case for me and voila - A dirt collection.

Before you get all excited and decide to start your own dirt collection, I have to warn you: Some places (like the Parthenon) are on to us. There are actually signs posted now warning tourists not to take the dirt! (I guess if everyone who went there did that, the Parthenon would be on flat land instead of a hill. If I ever go there again, maybe I'll bring the dirt back...or not.)


No comments: