Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Minimize Your Regrets

We've all said or done things we wish we hadn't. For us average blokes, those things slip under the radar and don't come back to haunt us - but you never know. The minute you become a person of interest, all hell can break loose.

I was watching the Doctor Phil show a few weeks ago and he said something that should be written down on a sticky note and stuck on every bathroom mirror around the globe: "When you choose the behavior, you choose the consequences."

I'll bet you a nickel President Clinton wishes he had given a little forethought to his decision to engage in a little foreplay in the oval office - and Eliot Spitzer wishes he hadn't hooked up with a hooker.

My mother wasn't big on giving me advice when I was growing up. But the one thing I remember was her telling me not to do anything that could come back to haunt me later. She said, "you don't know now what you will be doing in the future. What if you marry someone who has political aspirations and runs for office and the press finds out you experimented with drugs, or there are nude photos of you floating around somewhere." I took that counsel to heart and never went down those roads (or anything close to them). I'm a happier person as a result of the choices I've made in my life.

Think before you act and you will minimize your regrets.

1 comment:

Salt H2O said...

My biggest regrets are not of things I did, but of things I didn't do. People I didn't go out of my way to be kind to, not applying myself, not working out- not going the extra mile to help my fellow man.