Sunday, March 16, 2008

Letter to My Younger Self:

When I was sixteen, I wrote a letter to myself to be read when I turned twenty-one. Then when I was twenty-one, I wrote a letter to myself to be read when I turned thirty. It was interesting to see what was important to me and what I thought I would be doing at the next stage of my life – compared to what I was “actually” doing. It never occurred to me to write a letter to my “younger” self. However, after reading “What I know Now” I’ve been thinking about what advice I would give to myself if I could go back in time knowing what I know now.

I would talk to my thirty-year-old self and say, “you are NOT fat, you are NOT stupid, you are NOT dorky. Quit comparing yourself to what you think you should be. Enjoy the piece of chocolate that is in your mouth right now instead of thinking about what you’re going to choose to eat next, and after that. There is always going to be someone who is better looking than you, thinner than you, smarter than you, and richer than you – don’t even think about them. Focus on your own talents and continually look for ways to share that talent with others. Don’t dwell on the past. Don’t dwell on the future. Live in the present – because really, that’s what each day is - a present (gift). Open it with enthusiasm in the morning and put it away each night looking forward to what tomorrow morning will bring you (what new challenge? What new opportunity?). Do everything you do to the best of your ability. You are stronger than you think. Don't let fear hold you back. The consequences of all that you fear are not nearly as bad as the regret of what is missed while standing on the sidelines. You are better than you think you are and you will accomplish more than you ever thought possible.”

I thought I was fat because when I watched the Miss America pageants the contestants that were my height (5’9”) weighed 115 lbs and I weighed 135 lbs. I thought I had no talents because I couldn’t sing, dance or play the piano (I didn’t know being thoughtful, kind, and a good listener were talents). I thought I was stupid because I had a short-term memory. I did well in school until it came time for finals at the end of the year. I had to study all the material over again because I couldn’t remember what I had learned at the beginning of the semester. I thought I was a dork because most of my friends were dorks (I was always nice to the kids that the other kids picked on). Now I look at photos of my younger self and want to kick my butt.

1 comment:

Salt H2O said...

This is why you're such a great mom. Amy is just like you- minus those self-esteme issues. Especially about the part on having dorks for friends! :)

It's a good letter. I was just harping my weight today. Now I'll go have some chocolate!