Friday, March 14, 2008

$50 Million Dollar Charitable Donation

I was watching Lipstick Jungle last night (I know, I’m a loser) and the multi-billionaire boyfriend bought a Van Gogh painting at auction for $50 million dollars. That really got my blood boiling. If I had $50 million that didn’t mean anything to me, I’d rather see it do some good for society. But what would I do? I think I’d rather give one million to fifty causes than to give it all to one. What do you think?

How about a compromise: I think the first thing I would do is buy (or build) an apartment complex to provide free housing for the homeless – probably two: one in a residential area for families with children and a different one near a treatment center for those with drug and/or alcohol addictions, or mental problems. Then with whatever was left, I’d do things for children ( a million each to: the Make a Wish Foundation, the Ronald McDonald House, local foster care facilities, Cystic Fibrosis, Special Olympics, etc.)

If I were going to start a charity, I’d want to help families who have had to declare bankruptcy due to medical expenses incurred trying to cure, or manage, a family member’s illness (childhood cancers, deformities, etc.) I’d want to help them get back on their feet again (buy a home, college fund for children, etc.)

What would YOU do???

3 comments:

Salt H2O said...

What's the difference between a painting and money? Both are made from paper, both have value- one is just prettier than the other and insurable. it's not succeptable to inflation and you get to look at it every day. Paintings by the great artists really are investments, and a way to diversify your portfolio.

Of course, I'm telling myself this because Brent and I just spent 5 grand on a Peter Max last week!

However for 50 million, I'd start scholarships-and invest in Micro loans for develping countries.

Jeri and Amy said...

Mom, what are you talking about? You could do any of the things you mentioned! The real question isn't "what would you do with fifty million dollars?" but rather, "what ARE you doing with the money you've got?"

Jeri10 said...

Giving it to YOU