Tuesday, January 15, 2008

I Dare You...


No, I DOUBLE dare you to ask for this blush at the make up counter.

A few months ago I had a large basket of groceries so I thumbed through a magazine while I was waiting to be checked out. I ran across an article about the year's best make up products. I gasped when I read their pick for the best blush. The name of it made me blush. I thought, "How could they get away with that?" (the name of the blush was "Orgasm" by NARS).

A few weeks later I was at the mall and I stopped to check out blushes because the one I'd been using had been discontinued [That could be a whole blog - but I'll shorten it for you: When I was a teenager, my favorite lip and nail color was Mocha Polka. I was heartsick when it was discontinued so I wrote to the manufacturer and they wrote back saying, in effect, "We only discontinue colors that nobody likes so if you didn't have such bad taste in colors, we wouldn't discontinue them." (Well, they said it in a kinder, gentler way - but that's what they meant.)] So, back to the blush. I remembered that NARS had the best blushes so I went to the counter and tried out various colors until I found the one I liked. The color names weren't displayed so I had no idea what the name of it was and I didn't have my reading glasses with me so I couldn't have read it anyway. When I got home, I liked the color so much I decided I wanted to buy some more (just in case it gets discontinued) and when I got my magnifying glass out, I discovered it was "orgasm!" Which told me two things. They were right about the color being good on everyone; and that apparently my taste in colors has improved over the years.

There was no way I was going to go back and ask for it. So I went online to order it. I still couldn't believe that they named a product that name and thought maybe it was some kind of mistake. But when I saw that they sold a gift set containing the blush and a lipstick to match and they called it "Multiple Orgasm," I knew it was no mistake. That says a lot about our society. How sad is that?

P.S. I didn't buy the extra blush. That was my way of protesting - as if they'd ever know - or care.

November, 2008 - I guess my boycott didn't work. Another brand (Rock & Republic) has jumped on the bandwagon with three new blushes: Kinky, Immoral, and X-Rated.

2 comments:

Salt H2O said...

Amy's mom owns Orgasm. That's AWESOME!

Unknown said...

ewe! gross!