Friday, November 14, 2008

Remember this?

The Witch Fire – October 27, 2007


The fires burning in Montecito that have destroyed 100's of homes reminded me of something else I’m thankful for.

Just last year WE were the ones who had to evacuate our homes. We were one of the 2 million people evacuated from San Diego last year. We got a reverse 911 call that said leave immediately. Fortunately, our son-in-law called us a half hour earlier to tell us we’d be getting a call, so we had time to collect things we wouldn’t want to lose. I’ve always had a list posted of things to take if anything like this happened. I gathered everything on the list and we left.

Having gone through that experience, and being told at one point that our house had burned to the ground (which wasn’t true), I’ve added more things to the list. I always thought money and personal possessions weren’t important (I mean, after all, we can’t take them with us – I’ve never seen a Brink’s truck following a hearse). But it is amazing how many memories are attached to some of those possessions. So when you make your list, you have to really think about what you’d miss if your house actually did burn to the ground and add some of those things to your list.

So this year, I’m adding one more thing to my list of things to be thankful for. I’m glad we still have our home. Because after 21 years, the whole house is full of memories.

No comments: