Monday, November 24, 2008

Count your blessings

The reason we sing hymns in church is because we need to hear the words in the lyrics over and over again. We don’t just sing this hymn in November, we sing it (or should sing it) all year long:

When upon life’s billows you are tempest tossed,
When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,
Count your many blessings, name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the lord has done.

…Are you ever burdened with a load of care?
Does the cross seem heavy you are called to bear?

…When you look at others with their lands and gold,
Think that Christ has promised you his wealth untold.

Count your blessings. The economy has beat us all down, but so what? The REALLY important things can’t ever be taken from us. I look at my children and my grandchildren and I’m reminded of what my grandfather used to say when he looked at me and my sisters. He’d point to each of us and say “a million bucks, a million bucks, a million bucks. I’m a very rich man indeed.” Ditto!

No comments: