Monday, October 6, 2008

Tacky Party

One of my favorite parties to put on for church is a Tacky party. Everyone dresses tacky,
The food is tacky (green Jell-O, macaroni and cheese, tuna casseroles, decorated cupcakes, etc.), we have a tacky auction (every one brings “white elephant” items and we have a live auction and several tables of silent auction items – the kids LOVE this part of the party) and we even have a tacky talent show (a “gong” show). It is great for the whole family. We give everyone tacky money (we put the Bishop’s face on regular money and Xerox it on green paper. They get ten tacky dollars for coming to the party, 10 tacky dollars if they are dressed tacky, 10 tacky dollars if they brought something for the auction, and 10 tacky dollars if they do a tacky talent .

I come by all this tackiness naturally. I won “Queen of Clash Day” when I was in High School. But even when I’m not trying I can get pretty tacky. Here’s a perfect example:




In the early 80’s I bought this coat for myself (what was I thinking) and liked it so much I bought one for my mother for Christmas. (I should have put it where it belongs – on the bathroom floor!). You can see how much my mother loved it, look how thrilled she was.



Is tackiness inherited? After Jennifer’s Halloween party, my mom asked what she was going to do with the skeletons. She asked if she could “store” them for her. This is what she had in mind. She put this out in front of her house in Hemet (where it is known for being very hot). Then she put four around a card table and had them playing cards. Now who’s the queen of tacky? (Looks like the apple hasn't fallen far from the tree. I guess we were both in the shallow end of the gene pool).

2 comments:

Salt H2O said...

Love the coats and your mom is hilarious!

Jeri and Amy said...

You wanna talk tacky? We just had a mom bring her two toddlers trick-or-treating... and she was not only drunk off her butt, but she was carrying a gin and coke. (I know the content of her goblet because she "jokingly" asked for a refill.) Using Halloween to re-stock your liquor cabinet? THAT is tacky.