Friday, October 10, 2008

No Electricity!

I woke up an hour late this morning because the alarm didn’t go off. I went into my bathroom and turned on the light, but the light didn’t come on. I tried to brush my teeth but my electric toothbrush wouldn’t work. Ah ha. No electricity. So I brushed the old-fashioned way. I took a shower, but didn’t wash my hair because I couldn’t blow it dry.

I went to the kitchen to make some toast, but remembered there was no electricity so I had a bowl of cereal. (When I opened the frig for milk, I realized that if the electricity didn’t come back on, all the food would spoil). How will I cook dinner? No stove, no oven?

I couldn’t watch TV, I couldn’t use the computer, I couldn’t vacuum the house, I couldn’t do the laundry. I couldn’t even make phone calls. “ I know, I’ll go shopping!”

I went out to the garage but the garage door opener wouldn’t work so I couldn’t get my car out of the garage! (Even if I disconnected it, I realized I still wouldn’t be able to get out of the yard because the electric gate wouldn’t open! )

I realized how dependent I was on electricity. It seems everything I do requires it. How can that be?

What did people do before electricity? It hasn’t been around that long – only about 100 years – but my, oh my, how it changed our lives.

I wonder what we don't have now that the next generation won't be able to live without?
.

No comments: