Friday, August 22, 2008

Teamwork


“Teamwork is a whole lot of people running around working for me.”

I heard this quote on the radio and I laughed. Not because I thought it was funny. I laughed because it is so true. I'd love to be that person, but I have a problem delegating. When I am in charge of something, I have a vision of how I want it done and it seems like any time I ever entrust others, they don’t perform up to my expectations. Even when I hand out the recipes, they don’t turn out the way I prepare them. Three people will make the same dessert and they all look different. I’ve learned that if I want it done a certain way, I have to do it myself – and I’m okay with that. I’m perfectly happy to spend three days running around preparing for a dinner party. I’d really rather do it myself and have control. I sound like a control freak and in some ways I am but if it is a church party, I try to be more flexible. If someone on the committee is passionate about something, I’ll let them do it their way. If they don’t like my music selections, I’ll put them in charge of the music. I know that I have to let people bring food, because that gets them to the function. I pick my battles and try to keep everyone happy. If things don’t go perfectly, I get over it. I don’t sweat the small stuff.

If I’m not in charge, I’m perfectly happy to be part of the team and do the task how the person in charge wants it. I don’t try to push my ideas on anyone – unless they ask.

No comments: