Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Talents

President Gordon B. Hinckley said, “You need never feel inferior. You need never feel that you were born without talents or without opportunities to give them expression. Cultivate whatever talents you have and they will grow and refine and become an expression of your true self appreciated by others.” (from his book, One Bright Shining Hope) .

Thou shalt not idle away thy time, neither shalt thou bury thy talent that it may not be known.” D & C 60:13

Too many people feel that because they can’t play an instrument, or they can’t dance or sing, that they have no talent. I can’t do any of those things but I consider myself very talented. I have a talent for putting others at ease, for being a good listener, for seeing what others need and trying to provide it, for showing my love for others, for being a good friend, etc. There are so many other talents. So, let’s have some fun with this one.

Make a list of all the things you are good at and/or enjoy doing. Could you do it professionally? Would you want to? For instance, I love to arrange flowers. I could be a florist (but would I want to? No). I love to plan parties. I could be a wedding planner (hum, I actually think I'd have fun doing that...unless the bride had her own ideas of what she wanted ... nevermind.) You get the idea.


(I won First Place in my division and a "Special Award" for overall best entry for my floral arrangement and table setting at the Rancho Santa Fe Garden Club's Flower Show)

No comments: